Friday, September 30, 2011

The Devil's Queen by Jeanne Kalogridis

I read this book a while ago, but I really loved it, so I thought I'd share. It's about Catherine de Medici, who was Queen of France and married to Henri II (King of France). It chronicles her life since childhood to the aftermath of  a very pivotal event.

My Thoughts:
  1. She was very interested in astrology and magic and such, and this book takes a wonderful approach to that. They perform rituals and have horoscopes done and everything, and I'm super interested in stuff like that, so I loved this book all the more for Jeanne Kalogridis' approach to the magic of Catherine. 
  2. The relationship between Catherine and Henri II was really well executed, in my opinion. I loved them together - just the right amount of adorable with a dash of angst and betrayal. There was this one great moment where Henri comes to Catherine's room after telling her he's over Diane de Poitiers and the Scottish maid of Mary, Queen of Scots that is just so great!
  3. Also, Catherine is pretty bad ass, which made me love her. In dealing with the intrigue of the French monarchy, holding her own with Diane de Poitiers, handling the whole Catholic/Protestant thing - she may not always have been right, but she was definitely hard core.
  4. There is a lot of history in this book, which I thought was totally awesome. I love France (and Italy), so this was very interesting for me.
Who Should Read It:
  • People looking for interesting side of history. Does this ever deliver!
  • If you love the whole intrigue/love/betrayal in a 16th century royal court thing (think Showtime's The Borgias) then you'll probably love this book.
  • I wouldn't say this is an adult novel, but it certainly doesn't fit the common tropes of a young adult novel. So, if you're looking for something a little more "WOW!", then this is for you!
So, that The Devil's Queen by Jeanne Kalogridis, a totally awesome book which I recommend you all check out! For a list of her other works (which I hope to read eventually), check out her website here.

Soon, I'll be reviewing Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment