Friday, September 2, 2011

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

This series includes City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, and City of Fallen Angels. City of Heavenly Fire and City of Lost Souls are upcoming additions to the pair of trilogies that make up this series.

I really loved this book series! It's no Harry Potter (of course, nothing is), but it is definitely my favorite book series in a long time. The plot centers around Clary, her relationship with Jace, and her entry into the world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders (warlocks, vampires, werewolves etc.)

Reasons why this book is excellent:
  1. It has everything! It's definitely got romance, but it's not the only element of the book (which would make it so sappy); it has action, adventure, and mystery as well.
  2. The writing style is wonderful! I love Cassandra Clare! The description are very vivid, which I believe contributes to the realism of this novel (which, for me, is very important in a fantasy novel). 
  3. The main character is great. If I don't like the main character, I have difficultly enjoying a book at all., but I loved Clary! She's cool, but not tool cool as to be unrelatable.
  4. The guys are great too! Jace is by far the best love interest I've read about in a long time. He's the perfect hero, really: attractive, snarky, brooding, just awesome. 
  5. It's so angsty. I love angst in my teen paranormal romance, and I am unashamed of that. And you should be unashamed too. 
  6. There were some pretty humorous moments, which is a rare delight in such a dark, angsty book. 
Who should read it:
  • Everyone! It is an absolutely wonderful series and I laughed and cried and just fell in love with this book!
  • It is a little dark and angsty, like I mentioned, so if you're not into that, you might not enjoy this book.
In short, I award ten stars to an absolutely epic book series! READ IT!

Look forward to my next review, which will be of the prequel series to this series, The Infernal Devices, also by Cassandra Clare.

If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to check out my original blog, which is a more general one, here

No comments:

Post a Comment