Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles (and basically the whole Perfect Chemistry series)

This is the third book in Elkeles' bestselling Perfect Chemistry series, about the three Fuentes brothers (Alex, Carlos, Luis) and their love interests (Brittany, Kiara, and Nikki)

My Thoughts:
  1. This series has always had its humorous moment, and the third installment was no exception! 
  2. It's very engaging - I finished it in about six hours of solid reading!
  3. The romantic interactions are always well-written. I loved Brittany/Alex most of all, but the descriptions of Nikki and Luis's feelings are very well executed. Simone Elkeles always has a knack for tastefully doing love scenes, and that continues in this book as well. (Though, if you're like 14 or easily offended, warning: they do it in this book. And they swear a lot too.)
  4. I've read reviews that say these books are too formulaic, that they're all the same...I have to disagree. Okay, they're all forbidden love, but there is a reason Romeo and Juliet is the most enduring romance ever: people love forbidden love stories! And I am proudly one of those people!
  5. The female characters are relatable. I really indentified with Brittany because she really tries to project this image of having it all, the perfect life, being put together and unflustered but really she's a bit of a mess, just like everybody else. I related to Kiara in that she was a bit of a nerd, without much experience with guys before Carlos. And, while I personally haven't experience this, I thought it was very realistic that Nikki had been hurt before and had difficulty trusting Luis - it made a great novel and I think lots of girls (and guys) can relate to that. Also, Nikki has the "I need to be needed" complex that I have...I'm pretty sure that's a psychological no-no, but I sure as heck enjoyed reading about someone who felt that way too!
  6. The guys! I love love love Alex! He is so amazing! My number one out of the whole series! Luis, of course, has his charms and so does Carlos...but Alex is so...Alex. In short, well-written love interests!
  7. Accordingly, this book has the other two Fuentes brothers, Alex and Carlos (and Brittany and Kiara, respectively), in it as well. This of course lent itself to some great family interaction as well as a chance to fantasize about Alex. (Oh, don't sanctimoniously act like you don't! If you've read the book, I know you do! )
Who Should Read It:
  • Fans of Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction! This is a worthy installment to the series!
  • People who love the forbidden romance thing!
  • Fans of West Side Story - It has gangs, this-side-of-town, that-side-of-town divisions, with a guy and a girl from two different sides getting together. (Well, technically not in Rules of Attraction, but there's still class differences.) Alas, there is not singing or dancing...but you can't have it all, can you?
  • People who love guilty pleasure stuff! Like I mentioned, Nikki likes to be needed. And so do I. If you do too, you'll probably like this novel.
  • People looking for something a little more down to Earth. There's no paranormal stuff - no vampires, witches, werewolves, zombies or other members of the undead. The characters have real world problems.... Well, theoretical real world problems, if that makes sense. (I.E. I live in a white bread neighborhood with no gangs.)
In short, a great book! I love love love Simone Elkeles so I really recommend Chain Reaction (and Rules of Attraction and Perfect Chemistry if you haven't read those). Stay tuned for a review of Die for Me by Amy Plum!

2 comments:

  1. Becky its very interesting to read all of your blog entries because it allows others to see other peoples views on some books before they decide if they want to actually read it or not. I definitely can see you having a career with journalism or some type of writing involved in your career. A publication company should even hire you to write reviews on their books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your blog is great! I love that you go through each book, give a brief summary, explain what you liked about it, and who should read it. This is a really useful resource for anyone who is looking for something new to read! Next time I go book shopping, I'll definitely check out what you have to recommend!

    ReplyDelete