Sunday, September 11, 2011

Juliet by Anne Fortier (Part Two)

I finished this book yesterday, but, as I was preoccupied with writing essays for my european history class, I didn't get to blog about it! So, I'll finish up now!

This book was AMAZING! The love story of the past resolved in epic tragedy (as well it should, being R & J, after all) and the modern day love story was so heartrending and sweet! Not to mention the whole thing takes place in Italy (read: sexy Italian love interest! ...if you're interested in my opinion of the various nationalities of guys, see here and here.)

Who Should Read It:
  • Romance fans! Particularly romance fans with little romantic experience who like to live vicariously through novel characters - our heroine is completely new to romance when she gets swept off her feet by Alessandro :)
  • Shakespeare fans! The premise that this book is based on the story of the families that Shakespeare based the Capulets and Montagues on is so freaking cool!
  • Any who wants a little adventure in their literary lives!
And because we're talking R & J, I've compiled a list of the top 4 best movie adaptations of Romeo and Juliet, in my opinion. These are listed in no particular order.

  1. Romeo and Juliet (1968 - Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting): This one is a classic! It's sweet and sad and beautifully rendered and everything it should be. Plus, the main love theme, composed by Nino Rota, is SO wonderful!
  2. William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (1996 - Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio): This one is awesome too! It's got the original dialogue BUT it's set modern day...it is without a doubt the most original film I've ever seen - you have to see it to get it. But, while it has its funny moments, I cry more here than I did during the '68 version....also, I love Leo!
  3. West Side Story (1961 - Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer): It's a musical! What more do you want!
  4. Gnomeo & Juliet (2011 - Emily Blunt and James McAvoy): Okay, this is anthropomorphic lawn ornaments doing Shakespeare, now what more do you want? The cutest, sweetest, funniest animated film I have ever seen. AND *spoiler alert* it had a happy ending. I was even inspired to vow that, should I ever own a home, I will so put a bronze statue of the Bard in my yard, unashamedly at that. I don't care how old you are or whether you've ever read the play: watch this movie!
And that concludes me tangentially pontificating on my favorite adaptations of Shakespeare. In that vein, stay tuned for a review of Falling for Hamlet, a novel by Michelle Ray. And yes, it is what you think it is. Don't judge me - I know I'm a nerd, you know I'm a nerd, but you don't know me, thus I am not really "out" as a nerd (look at me, breaking the fourth wall!). 'Til then!

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with this blog! I was hooked after the first post. Keep up the great work! Love the font, too. :)

    ReplyDelete