Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

In this book, Rory, a teenager form Louisiana. goes to boarding school in England. The day she arrives, a murder is committed by a copycat killer, in the style of the infamous Jack the Ripper. Rory is soon swept up into the case (and love).

My Thoughts

  1. I loved Rory's love interest Jerome! He is super awesome! Curly hair, accent, general awesomeness - oh, yes! I am SO there! 
  2. I didn't feel too strongly about Rory as a character, but I suppose I could say that I liked her - she was believable and not whiny, so she was a good heroine! She did have some really funny moments, particularly recounting takes of her neighbors back home in Louisiana.
  3. Takes place in London - you know how I LOVE books that take place in far away places, particularly places I'd like to visit one day. (I don't want to visit London nearly as much as I want to visit Paris (for the awesome) or Rome (for the art), but it's definitely on the list of places to visit eventually.) 
  4. The aspect of the paranormal was very well executed - not too cheesy, not too dark - just a very good paranormal novel. 
Who Should Read It:
  • Maureen Johnson fans - if you like her other works, you'll probably like this one!
  • According to this book, there is a group of people called Ripperologists, who devote their life to the study of Jack the Ripper...so, if you're one of those, you'd probably enjoy reading this novel. 
  • If you love guys with accents. I do. I so do, and if you do too, then you'll love the English-accented love interest!
  • If you've got an interest in the paranormal - like I said, very well done in this novel.
That's about it. For more information on the book (or more books by Maureen Johnson), please check out the author's website here

Stay tuned for my next review, which will be of Rick Riordan's Son of Neptune (Book #2 in his The Heroes of Olympus series)....God, it is SO good!

No comments:

Post a Comment