Friday, October 21, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

This is the companion novel to the absolutely amazing Anna and the French Kiss, also by Stephanie Perkins. It's about Lola, an aspiring costume designer, and Cricket, an inventor.

My Thoughts
  1. This was set in San Francisco, not Paris, which detracted the book. 
  2. I really didn't find that I could connect with Lola at all. I mean, she was dating this older guy who was clearly a total jerk and she wore all these completely outrageous outfits and I couldn't love her or identify with her like I did with Anna from the previous book. I didn't hate her, but I didn't like her either.
  3. There was a moment of Lola getting on her soapbox that I didn't like. 
  4. On the plus side, Cricket was a nice love interest, funny and sweet, so I kept reading for him.
  5. On the MAJOR plus side - ANNA AND ST. CLAIRE WERE IN IT!!!!! That alone makes buying and reading this book so worth it! 
Who Should Read It
  • Fans of Stephanie Perkins (see review of Anna and the French Kiss to see who that should be)
In short, Anna and the French Kiss was to DIE for, and this was an enjoyable read.

Overall score: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment