Friday, October 7, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Okay, this book is about a teenage boy, Jacob, who discovers a secret about his grandfather and himself and then goes to Wales to check out the abandoned orphanage where it all happened.

This is my first negative review, so the format will be slightly different.

What I Liked
  1. The book itself is gorgeous! Red leather, gold lettering - it's very luxurious looking. 
  2. The creepy photographs are super cool, that's what prompted me to purchase the book in the first place. They're very interesting and they really make you look and think. 
  3. The premise was cool - I love time travel, and this has elements of that; I loved the little circus thing they had with all the children. 
What I Didn't Like
  1. I expected the book to have a more Victorian era feel, possibly even Steampunk. Instead the book was more witchcraft/paranormal centered. 
  2. I didn't feel connected to the characters at all. I just could not feel for Jacob. Or any of the characters.
  3. The romance was terribly unbelievable. I didn't like the girl, feel for her, want her to end up with Jacob, anything like that.
Who Should Read It
  • I can't in good conscience tell anyone "You will love this book!" but I suppose if you like the 40s, Wales, and a new mythology/paranormal universe, you might enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment