Saturday, December 3, 2011

Fateful by Claudia Gray

This book is about Tess, a maid for the wealthy Lisle family, who wants to start a new life after their transatlantic voyage on, wait for it, The Titanic! While on board, she meets handsome first-class passenger Alec Marlowe, who has a dark secret.

My Thoughts:

  1. This book was fantastic! It was extremely well-written and very engaging! I was really able to get lost in this book!
  2. Tess is a wonderful heroine! She's strong, but not to the point of being arrogant or stubborn. 
  3. Alec is the perfect love interest! Handsome, with attractive hair, tortured with guilt he doesn't deserve, sweet, caring - oh, he's just perfect! 
  4. The supernatural element was amazingly well done! You might think werewolves on the Titanic would come across as campy or silly, but it certainly did not!
  5. The Titanic aspect was really amazing as well. There was a perfect balance of happy/sad endings for people, you know? It wasn't like all of the characters we know survived (which, statistically, they could've), but they didn't all drown either. But, even the minor characters' deaths made me cry. Irene, Ned, even Layton and Lady Regina - there were tears. And, of course, the historically accurate characters like John Jacob Astor (I think I'm just attached to him because of his role in James Cameron's  Titanic, but still.)
  6. The romance was fabulous! There were so many tender, sweet moments and so many moments when I felt like the author was trying to rip my heart out, but, at the last second, didn't. Tess & Alec forever!
Who Should Read It:
  • Romance fans, this is the book for you!
  • Fans of James Cameron's Titanic, you should read this book. (Translation: everyone should read this book!)
  • Titanic lovers in general, this is a great book! This is also a great era, in my opinion, very lush and romantic. 
  • I haven't read any of Claudia Gray's other works (though I'm inspired to buy all of them now), but, if you like those, I recommend you read this! 
Final Score: infinity/10

This book is going on The Shelf. (The Shelf houses such greats as Anna and the French Kiss  by Stephanie Perkins, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, and, of course, J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.)

For more info, and a list of Claudia Gray's other works (which I will shortly be purchasing), check out her website here

I have a stack of new books four feet high, so stay tuned for more reviews! 

No comments:

Post a Comment