Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber

So, Darker Still: A Novel of Magic Most Foul takes place in Victorian Era Manhattan, and centers on Natalie, a 17 year old mute girl, whose father works for the Met. She is shown a mysterious painting of Jonathon Whitby, Lord Denbury by her mentor, Mrs. Northe, a spiritualist. His soul is trapped in the painting, while the Devil wreaks havoc as he possesses Jonathon's body.

My Thoughts:

  1. The book is very romantic. Sincerely romantic. There is swooning and falling into each other's arms involved here. If that doesn't convince you to read this book than you have no heart. 
  2. The story is framed as a diary being held as evidence by the police department, which I find fascinating. It reminds me of classic novels like Bram Stoker's Dracula or something. 
  3. Natalie is a great heroine! Identifiable, likable, strong but not arrogant, and, most importantly, headstrong in love.
  4. Lord Denbury is a wonderful hero! Everything a love interest should be: accented, dashing, benevolent, blue-eyed, black-haired and so much more!
  5. I read a fair amount of historical fiction and I love the Victorian Era, so I was really pleased to find this setting. It's done really well!
  6. The supernatural element is very believable and engaging, even verging on the truly macabre. In my opinion, the more books you read, the less things affect you, but this one was definitely very real. 
Who Should Read It:
  • Fans of the Victorian Era!
  • Fans of romance! This one SO delivers!
  • Leanna Renee Hieber fans! (I am so inspired to pick up her other works now!)
Overall Score: 9/10

For more info, check out the author's website here

*Drum roll please* And check back for a review of The Infernal Devices  Book Two: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. That's right, I am holding the latest Cassandra Clare novel in my hands RIGHT NOW! Aaaaaaaaaaah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment