Monday, November 28, 2011

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

This book is about Gretchen, an 18-year-old girl who lost her twin sister when she was seven, her brother Ansel, and her love interest Samuel. She travels to Live Oaks, South Carolina, where she befriends and moves in with Sophia, the town pariah who has secrets of her own. It's got a very fairy tale vibe, a la Alex Flinn.

My Thoughts:

  1. Usually, suspense gets on my nerves; I HATE not knowing, but in this book, I really liked the lead up to discovering who Sophia truly was. 
  2. This was surprisingly heavy for a teen romance. I'd say it has the same level of death as Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel, though not nearly the emotional impact. 
  3. Samuel and Gretchen are great! There's this one scene, page 235, that is just adorable! He's your typical bad-boy-with-a-sensitive-side that populates the young adult section, and call me unenlightened, but  I really love those types!
Who Should Read It:
  1. Fans of Jackson Pearce. Though I did not fall in love with this book like I did with As You Wish, this is still a great book if you like her style.
  2. Fans of modern day fairy tale retellings. I've been buying a lot of those lately, and I don't know if it's a trend or if I just happen to be picking them up, but this book definitely delivers on that front.
  3. Romance fans! What is a book without romance? Not a book at all! 
Final Score: 8.5/10

I have tons of new books, so check back soon for more reviews! The next book I'll be reviewing Fateful by Claudia Gray (and it is AWESOME)!

No comments:

Post a Comment