Friday, December 30, 2011

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

*This Review May Contain SPOILERS*
This is a bit divergent from my usual type, but I loved it nonetheless. It's set during the French Revolution, the Reign of Terror specifically, and centers on the Blakeneys. Sir Percy Blakeney is an utter fop - shallow, vain, insipid etc. Lady Blakeney, previously Marguerite St. Just,  is gorgeous, charming, and hailed as the most intelligent woman in Europe. During this time, an Englishman known only as the Scarlet Pimpernel is rescuing French aristocrats and smuggling them from the country. He is pursued by an agent of the Revolutionary government, Chauvelin, and aided by nineteen others. Chauvelin captures Marguerite's brother Armand (who is a counterrevolutionary) and uses him to blackmail her into helping him discover the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel....her husband!

My Thoughts:
  1. The romance between Marguerite and Percy is just amazing. At first he worshiped her openly, but her contempt for his "idiocy" led her to spurn him. Once he heard that she denounced someone to the Committee of Public Safety, he couldn't trust her, so he withdrew his love (also because of his wounded pride) and now they ignore one another. However, as the novel progresses, and Marguerite realizes that Percy has been wearing a mask and is in fact this daring hero that everyone is enamored with and totally, passionately in love with her, she realizes that she loves him too and has to save him. When she comes to his aide, he realizes that she loves him and they reunite! Yay! Happy ending!
  2. The overall plot of this was good. I read the Wikipedia summary before I purchased this book, so I knew who the Scarlet Pimpernel was, and I have to say, that only enhanced my experience of this book. There was still plenty of adventure/intrigue/suspense, and the book was not wanting for adrenaline. 
  3. I was a little hesitant to pick this up, since it was written in 1905. I generally peruse either contemporary fiction, or stuff of the seventeen and eighteen hundreds, like Austen, the Brontes, Dickens etc. However, I found this book to be very readable. The style was very sincere and earnest in its manner, if that makes any sense. I did have to Google two words, but I hope that each book I read gives me at least one new word. 
Who Should Read It:
  • Fans of well-rounded books. This has romance, adventure, intrigue, espionage etc. 
  • People interested in the French Revolution. 
Overall Score: 9/10 
This was a really good book that had everything - likable characters, an intriguing plot, a good pace, and, of course, romance! I recommend you check it out! I also watched the 1982 made for TV movie of the same name, which I also recommend!

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and I'll be starting something else as well, so stay tuned for more reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment