Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

This book centers around Katerina, Duchess of Oldenburg in 1888 Russia and necromancer. Different supernatural groups are vying for the throne/choosing one side or another (including revenants, witches, vampires, fairies and werewolves). Katerina's power is sought after my member's of all sides and she is forced into a relationship with the evil Prince Danilo...but wait! Will she be rescued by the utterly amazing Grand Duke George Alexandrovich?

My Thoughts

  1. First and foremost: the relationship between Katiya and the George was just amazing! He starts out hostile towards our heroine, but he gradually warms to her and it's just so charming. And, of course, he's dashing and sexy but cute and sweet too (especially when he's jealous...aw!) This is one of those romances that I'm not even going to describe because I can't find the words! And Princess Alix and the tsar's eldest son were just adorable!
  2. You know I love historical fiction, and the portrayal of the Russian Imperial Court was just great - it was like Anastasia, only without the songs!
  3. In that vein, most historical fiction books are either centered in England or France or America, and I'd never really read one centering on Russia before. I was a little wary (you know me and change), but I absolutely loved it! The author provided a little info on some stuff at the beginning and it was definitely a nice change. 
  4. Also, I'm not familiar with Russian folklore, so all the aspects of it the author included were completely new to me - which I loved, since I am such a nerd about stuff like that. 
  5. I feel like I'm not explaining this book well, but it was a really amazing and engaging read. I probably spent a total of five hours on it over two days, since it was so good.
  6. The overall plot was also really amazing. It was very complex and kept you guessing, but never to the point where you couldn't make a guess about what might happen. I loved the elements of mystery and intrigue that flowed seamlessly with the supernatural elements and the personal drama of Katiya and her relationships. 
Who Should Read I
  • Romance fans who want to read about a really awesome romance with a really wonderful love interest!
  • Fans of historical fiction!
  • Fans of paranormal or supernatural or folkloric literature!
Final Score 10/10 A very enjoyable read!

I really recommend you check this book out, since it was something I really liked and I feel like you might like it too! For more info (it's part of a trilogy! YAY!), check out the author's website here

The stuff I ordered from Barnes and Noble came in the mail today, so I'm starting Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi!

No comments:

Post a Comment