Sunday, February 5, 2012

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

I absolutely loved the 2007 movie version of this book (which I watched because it had the always scrumptious Ben Barnes in it :) ) so when I saw the book version of this, I immediately picked it up. It was also recommended to me by the coolest person ever, Laura, who has a blog you should check out. Anyway, this book is about Tristran Thorn who lives in the village of Wall and ventures into the magical land of Faerie to find a shooting star to bring to his love, Victoria, so she will marry him. Little does he know, the star is actually a woman named Yvaine.

*Here, there may be spoilers*

My Thoughts:

  1. First off, for those of you that are thinking "Neil Gaiman is a children's author, I'm not reading this!" know that it is not a children's book. The f-word is used and there is sex. That being said, I don't want to say that it's not a children's book either. It's like a book that transcends age groups or something, which is one thing I liked about it. 
  2. I have to save the movie was better in several respects. First off, the pirates weren't in the book! I loved them! Second, the ending! The movie ending was infinitely better! The whole thing about Tristan living forever because he captured Yvaine's heart? That was beautiful! Also, the scene where Yvaine was walking and Tristan was running and Una was driving the cart? That was so great! In the book, he just tells  Yvaine she'll turn to dust in England. And the coronation? And the music? This is one of those cases where I prefer the movie. 
  3. That being said, I really liked the feel of this book. It evoked a very classic tale, I think. I mean, is there any more traditional a story than one about a quest? Just, the way it was written was very good. People don't write books like this anymore and I can't quite put my finger on why, but it's something I really like.
Who Should Read It:
  • Fans of fairy tales! This is amazing in that respect!
  • Fans of the movie! I didn't think it was as good, but you may think differently. Even if you agree with me, I think the book is still very much worth reading. 
Overall Score: 9/10

I debated for a while on what to give this. I can't say that I liked the way it ended, but I certainly didn't dislike the story. It made me sad, but it's one of those books you may not end up liking, but you just have to read anyway. I liked the movie more, but the book was ... was ... almost magical, in a way. To cut a long story short, this book took me about 3 hours to read, and they were 3 hours well spent. I recommend you read this book. 

I just started The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton, and it is AWESOME!

2 comments:

  1. You've summed up this book beautifully! I especially liked your idea of transcendent literature. :)

    ReplyDelete