Friday, January 10, 2014

Origin (Lux #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Caution, this review may contain spoilers for this book and any previous installments in this series. Particularly heavy spoilers in this review. What has been read cannot be unread. You have been warned.

As I'm sure you are aware, this is the fourth book in the Lux series, and the most recent one (as of January 2014). I was really nervous about this book, as I strongly dislike it when the leading lady and her love interest are forcibly kept apart (since Katy's situation at the end of Opal) and I'm also not keen on the captured-by-enemies-and-tortured scenario either. However, those bits didn't last very long, and, I have to say, I enjoyed this book the most out of the four in this series so far.

What I Liked:

  • Dual POV. This literally saved the beginning of the novel. I honestly cannot get through the separation of the couple in most of my books. Having Daemon's POV literally allowed me to read this book. I always looked forward to his chapters at the end of the book more than any other part, so having his perspective in such large quantities was awesome
  • Blake's death. He had it coming. The scene where he shoves Katy in the bathtub and soaks her to be a dick? Oh, he had it coming. No moral conundrum whatsoever over Blake's death. 
  • JLA's willingness to hand out the death card. I really liked when Dawson killed Matthew. It was swift, it was immediate, and it was not lingered upon. And, I mean, Paris, Andrew, Ash...this isn't like some YA novels, where only the bad guys die, and they die off-screen, and the character mopes about it for the rest of the book. I feel like JLA was really brave with this, and it made the final confrontation scene in Vegas so much more palpable and heart-pounding for me, since death really was on the table for significant characters. 
  • The back story on Daedalus. I adore world-building, and JLA does it so well. Everything about the origins, and, okay, I'm not going to like, the fact that male Luxen and female hybrids can make origin babies...I want to see mini-Daemons. I just do. I said it, and I will not take it back. 
  • Daemon's description of Katy when he first saw her inside Daedalus. That melted my heart. That is why I read YA fiction. It's like JLA has a magnifying glass into my soul or something. What I wouldn't give to have a guy think something like that while looking at me. I'd implode on the spot, so it's good I don't, haha. 
  • DB. The little alien plushie thing Daemon bought Katy and how cute he thought she looked with it also melted my heart. I was pretty much a puddle of heart goop during this whole book. It was just so sweet and vulnerable a thing amidst the chaos, and I loved it so much.  
  • Going to the chapel, and we're gonna get maaa-aaa-rrr-ied! (That's a song, btw.) I genuinely teared up when Daemon thought about proposing and then did it. Words cannot express how much my heart melted with joy and love and asdfghjkl at that moment. I honestly cried. It was so sweet and so perfect and so wonderful and nothing, nothing, so great has ever been done in the world of YA fiction. Seriously, JLA has broken a frontier, blazed a trail, whatever. It was just the most romantic scene I've ever read in my whole (very long) reading life. I'm still tearing up right freaking now. Having both of their perspectives, and just the love, the feelings, the romance...it was so poignant and touching and it never, ever came close to melodramatic or sappy or anything negative. Gaah!
  • Daemon and Katy. They were beyond belief in this book. Their love scenes, their relationship, their marriage, their thoughts on each other. God almighty, it was perfect. Truly. This is the kind of love people dream about. Everything I ever want in a YA relationship was right here. 
  • Dawson and Beth. They're so sweet. They just are so adorable! Awwww!
  • The ending. I feel like this was an excellently executed ending. There was enough resolution, and Katy and Daemon were in a good place, but there were also lots of open ends, like Dawson and Beth's baby, and the whole cavalcade of random Luxen...so excited for the next one!
What I Didn't Like: 
  • Again, not a criticism, but I wanted more on Archer. I feel like his relationship with Luc is deeper than we know, and I want his perspective on the outside world and if anything is really going on with Dee. 
Final Thoughts:
  • I really feel like Origin is my favorite book in the series so far! 
  • Daemon and Katy are officially my favorite couple in YA fiction. They are the best written, the most romantic, and the one that evokes the most feeling from me. 
  • I CANNOT wait for the next installments in this series, Opposition, which is apparently also the last. 
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Seriously, I was so into this book in the last hundred or so pages... this reminds me why I love reading so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment