Monday, December 30, 2013

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

CAUTION: Here, there may be spoilers. You have been warned.

Obsidian is the first book in the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. This is my first book by Ms. Armentrout, and it certainly will NOT be the last. I received this book for Christmas, and I am kicking myself that it was not the first book from my Christmas haul that I read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I'm reading the sequel (Onyx) right now.

What I Liked:

  • Katy. I LOVE Katy. First off, she's a book blogger! How cool is that? Second, she's one of the most relatable yet realistic heroines I've encountered in YA fiction. She's feisty, intelligent, and awesome, but she's not a Mary Sue at all. She's someone I would want to be and/or be friends with. 
  • Daemon. It must be a law of the universe that all guys named this are incredibly sexy. (Damon from The Vampire Diaries anyone?) He's got that perfect blend of badassery, jerkface-ness, and emotional vulnerability that make a YA hero swoon-worthy. (Seriously, I've been having a hard time swooning over books lately, mainly because I read so much that characters start to seem contrived, but, no, I swooned.) Plus, moody guys are hot. 
  • Daemon and Katy's relationship. You'll see a lot of people comparing the Lux series to the Twilight Saga. Yes, a human girl moves to a small town where a non-human boy rescues her from a moving vehicle and by so doing reveals his non-humanity to her, much to the chagrin of his non-human relatives who hate her, except for his bubbly sister. However, what I think of the Twilight series notwithstanding (*cough* not much *cough*), it's hard to argue that Daemon and Katy's relationship isn't much, much hotter. 
What I Didn't Like:
  • Honestly, I'm not partial to aliens. I much prefer a more folklore/mythology based bent to my YA supernatural/paranormal romance. Nothing against the book, but keep in mind, this is a bit of a sci-fi novel. 
Final Thoughts:
  • I would unreservedly recommend this book to fans of YA romance. It has everything, yet it still managed to stand apart and, for the most part, above the rest. 
  • Seriously, Daemon is swoon-worthy. 
  • Jennifer Armentrout makes cultural references in this book! I love that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment