Monday, December 30, 2013

Angel Fever by L.A. Weatherly

Caution: You may find spoilers below.

I'm a bit late, but I wanted to talk about this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two installments in this series, and the third one was no exception.

What I Liked:

  • Willow, Alex and Seb's characters. I feel like they really remained true to themselves throughout their appearances in the series, which can sometimes be hard to find. 
  • The author's handling of grief. For some reason, reading about a character's grief is so bone-shatteringly anathema to me. I just dislike it. However, I found that I didn't have that aversion to Willow's mourning in this book. 
  • The balance between end-of-the-world drama and romance drama. Sometimes, I find myself either yearning to go back to the two characters' love story or to the action of the overall blot. This was not so here, as I believe Ms. Weatherly perfectly captured the best of both worlds. 
  • Willow's hair journey. I really, really liked that L.A. Weatherly chose to make Willow's hair kind of representative of her symbolic journey through the novel. It was a nice literary touch without being blatant or contrived.
What I Didn't Like:
  • Too short! I need more!
Final Thoughts:
  • Willow is still one of my favorite heroines in YA literature. 
  • I was way happier than I should have been about the hair thing. 
  • If you're a fan of the series, read this, obviously. If you haven't, and you like the whole YA, supernatural thing, give this a go. Really, it's very well-written and has compelling characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment