Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cloaked by Alex Flinn

This book, in true Alex Flinn style, is a modern day take on fairy tales. I haven't been able to detect a specific one like with the first novel of hers I read, Beastly, so it seems to be a compilation of various elements from various fairy tales. A teenage boy, Johnny, who repairs shoes, is chosen by the beautiful princess Victoriana to rescue her brother, Prince Philippe, who has been turned into a frog, stop the evil witch, and save her from marrying the evil witch's son (by marrying her himself). However, throw Johnny's undefined feelings for his bet friend Meg into the mix, and you get a better idea of the plot.

My Thoughts:
  1. Generally, I don't read romance novels from the guy's perspective, since I find it difficult to really believe a guy has the kind of sappy thoughts I want in a love story. However, Alex Flinn's Johnny is wonderful! Very cute, very romantic, but also very real. This was very well executed, in my opinion.
  2. In that vein, I just loved the voice of the main character, Johnny. He was funny and adorable and a little dense about Meg and just a really great hero. 
  3. I absolutely love books with magic/fairy tales in them and this novel certainly delivered! It was all very familiar because, as an avid reader, I covered the major fairy tale stuff at a young age, BUT it was also extremely new - Alex Flinn's comic touches and plot twists keep you guessing.
  4. This book had some really funny moments, particularly in the relationship between Prince Philippe and Meg!
  5. I really love how classic this book feels. It's hard to describe, it just feels like one of those grand sweeping fairy tale romances. 
  6. I found this book to be very engaging, as well - It's one of those ones you can lose yourself in! 
Who Should Read It:
  • If you love fairy tales, then this book is for you!
  • If you like comedy, romance, and adventure this is for you!
  • If you're a fan of Alex Flinn's other work, then you should check this one out!
Overall Score: 9.5/10

For more information on Alex Flinn, check out her website here. I have tons of new books, so I don't know what I'll be reviewing next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment