Friday, February 21, 2014

Fragile Spirits by Mary Lindsey

Caution, this may contain spoilers for this book, and the previous book in this series Shattered Souls.

What I Liked:

  1. Alden and Lenzi! I was incredibly taken aback to open this book up to an unfamiliar character, having expected more of Alden and Lenzi's story, but I was SO excited to see them again, and their scenes were so powerful and so emotional and so heartwrenching, but then so happy, I can't enough and I loved it. 
  2. Paul! I really liked Paul as a character and as a person. You don't really read any kind of love story from the guy's perspective, and it was really refreshing, and I feel like Paul was realistic and well-developed, while still being someone you could see yourself crushing on. (And I so did, he was adorable!)
  3. Vivienne's characterization. I was really averse to her in the beginning, I couldn't get over how she treated everyone and such, and, having immediately loved Paul, I really felt like she didn't deserve him. However, and I really, really applaud Mary Lindsey for this, as I am generally loathe to change my opinions, the way in which she was written made her character arc so unbelievably believable...like, I'm still in awe of Mary Lindsey's authorial ability to make me love Vivienne, after hating her as strongly as I did. 
  4. Supporting characters! It was really awesome to see Race and Maddi again, as well as Lenzi and Alden, and I loved how this book developed their relationship, and I feel like it really speaks to Mary Lindsey's world building skills that I really believed in the fabric of this world between the two novels. Plus, frankly, Race is just such a lovable rake, and I enjoy his scenes and his humor. 
  5. Smith! I was so excited to see that he was being drawn as the principal antagonist of this work, as I really wanted more resolution of his character after having finished Shattered Souls. It was very unexpected, the way he was handles, but very satisfying. 
  6. The style! This book was engaging, I read it in I think four or five hours, the writing is so accessible, while also being so very rich and vivid. 
What I Didn't Like: 
  1. I will always want more Lenzi and Alden. Always. 
  2. This was pretty short, about three hundred pages, and I wanted more! I mean, yes, the ending was great, but, you know, you always want more of a good thing. 
Final Thoughts: 
  1. This really strikes me as more of a companion novel to Shattered Souls than a straight up sequel, or at least a hybrid of the two, but, either way, my point is that this was worthy of the book that preceded it. 
  2. This is my third book by Mary Lindsey, and I always read the summary and think, "Hmmm, interesting, but, you know, I mean, ghosts...meh" because, I mean, ghosts have been done...but they haven't been done like this. I don't know what it is, but Mary Lindsey takes a topic area (like ghosts) that I'm not really interested in, and somehow makes it one of the most intriguing things on my shelf. She's a really great author, and I would highly recommend her works to anyone. 
  3. I still prefer Shattered Souls, but this was an incredibly enjoyable read, it really drew me in, and it reminded me of why I love reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment