Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

*This review contains spoilers.*

It's JKR's first book for adults, I'm going to assume you know what it is about if you've looked this up and/or aren't living under a rock.

Before I give a judgment, I want to say that, of course, the style of this book was phenomenal, and just so engaging. I mean, it's JKR, aka the greatest storyteller ever, and the various narratives that made up this book were superbly woven together and completely engaging and I went through it rather quickly.

I also want to say that I think part of my childhood may have been shattered. On my other blog, I've enumerated many times the impacts which Harry Potter has had on my life, and how I have learned everything I ever needed to know from that series, even giving a speech on it in AP Lit, and that JKR is basically the gospel of my life.

And then I read this book. It frightened me, truly. Everyone in Pagford seems to being living lives of quiet desperation, and there is so much pettiness and meanness and incivility and I don't know what to think. I'm not even sure I can come up with a theme or message at this point, I'm so shell-shocked.

I don't know why the death and misery of this book is so much more hopeless than the death and misery in the Harry Potter series, but it just is....in Casual Vacancy there is no one side of goodness, not even one character that is truly good, or even sympathetic...

I miss children's literature...it was grand and sweeping and epic and had something worth fighting for in it.

Thanks for reading, I'll probably talk more about this book as I analyze it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment