Saturday, June 2, 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

*This review contains spoilers*

Of course, this book was absolutely phenomenal because it's from the Mortal Instruments, other reviews of which you can check out in the archives, so I won't show you my synonym finding skills by telling you that again.

My Thoughts:

  1. I absolutely adored Jordan and Maia. The scenes that they spend together in Jordan's bedroom and the just the way they act is adorable. It's like they're getting to know each other all over again, but with the undercurrent of an eternal passion, as they've previously been together. That, and I just loved Jordan's mix of cockiness and vulnerability. 
  2. Likewise, I find Isabelle and Simon to be an amazing couple as well. They're cute, but they've got an edge. They're too imperfect people who have found themselves fitting together perfectly, and it makes my heart ache, genuinely. 
  3. The scene with Simon and his sister, Becky, aka the first fictional Becky who is not a freak or a loser, is just the most endearing, adorable wonderful scene for Simon. 
  4. The verbal sparring in this book between Sebastian, Jace and Clary is just deliciously funny. 
  5. I'm going to lay all bare and tell you that, in the middle of the novel, when Sebastian was telling Clary he just wanted to abolish the Clave and he wanted Clary by his side and he'd only tried to kill Jocelyn because he was hurt and lonely and such...I was so gone; he had me hook, line and sinker. ...Then, of course, we find his real designs are destroying humanity/hooking up with his sister....yeah, I'm a poor judge of character, okay? Though, to be fair, in fiction the bad guy really does just need someone to love him to make it all better...Props to Cassandra Clare for going a different way. 
  6. This book has all the awesome of the previous books by Cassandra Clare, i.e. epic writing, engaging characters, amazing plot twists, heart-wrenching romance, but there's also new things like The Iron Sisters and a more in depth interaction with Raziel. 
  7. Jace's scene with Clary when Magdalena cut Lilith's mark,....I'm not gonna lie, that was hot :)
  8. This, and the rest of the Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices books by Cassandra Clare, is what a book should be. It's why I read, and I would recommend it to anyone!
  9. I have a prediction, since Clockwork Princess hasn't been released yet: William Herondale and Brother Zachariah are one and the same. Okay, bear with me. We saw Tessa in City of Glass, and the last time we saw her in Infernal Devices, she'd agreed to marry Jem. So, Will, distraught and unable to reconcile his love for Jem with his love for Tessa runs away. Eventually, Jem dies. Tessa is immortal, but Will will die...unless he becomes a Silent Brother. On page 517, Brother Zachariah tells Clary he would have died for two people....Jem and Tessa! Okay, that's far-fetched and a little ridiculous, I know, but it just struck me. 
Final Score: Infinity and beyond/10 Amazing book, as are the rest. Read them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment