Thursday, March 8, 2012

Siren by Tricia Rayburn

This book is about Vanessa, a teenager who spends her summers in Winter Harbor, Maine. It's an idyllic place, until her sister dies and men start washing up on the beach, bruised but with wide grins on their immobile faces. Also, romance between Vanessa and a local, Simon.

My Thoughts:

  1. First off, the cover has women standing on rocks out at sea, and it was called Siren, so I was thinking classical Greek myth sirens, i.e. head of a bird, lured sailors to wreck their ships. These creatures seem more like mermaids to me, murderous ones at that. Not that I have a problem with books about mermaids, but, if you're really into Greek mythology and that's why you pick up this book, you might be disappointed. 
  2. I like that Vanessa has a pathological fear of lots of things, as that is something I can identify with. 
  3. I love the Justine/Caleb and Vanessa/Simon relationships as a whole, though Simon is not really my type, per se. 
  4. There were good parts, like the explanation of the history of the sirens and such, but there were also parts that really broke verisimilitude for me, like the explanation of Justine's jealousy. 
  5. It wasn't that this was a bad book, but it didn't make my heart race or anything. 
  6. This is one of those books you read because you enjoy the act or reading, not because you're particularly interested in the plot of the book. 
  7. I'm not going to go out of my way to go and get the sequel, but I'll pick it up if I ever see it when I'm browsing through the shelves. 
Who Should Read It:
  • This book is probably not so very different from most young adult novels, but it just didn't really work for me. If you're a reader, I'd suggested checking it out; I mean, it's in paperback, and what's $8.99? Nothing, really, so you should at least read the back or flip through a bit. 
  • Like I said, if you like to read and you want something quick and not particularly analytic, this is worth checking out. 
Final Score: 7/10

Next, I'm reading Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen...it's about Robin Hood! :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment